Any person who has been ordinarily residing in Hong Kong for more than 7 years could apply for the Right of Abode in Hong Kong. This is also known as the Permanent Resident application, or application for a Permanent Hong Kong Identity Card.

The key consideration of this application is to proof that the person has been continuously living in Hong Kong for not less than 7 years before filing the application, such person has already taken Hong Kong as his / her only place of domicile, would continue to reside in Hong Kong for the near foreseeable future.

Though Hong Kong Immigration Department would have movement records of all individuals, the burden of proof will still be rested with the applicants.

The following situations will affect a permanent resident application:
  • Any period of continuous absence for more than 6 months during the 7 years.
  • Any period of aggregate absence for more than 6 months in any particular year during the 7 years.
  • Any period of not holding a resident visa ( i.e. visitor visa ) during the 7 years.

After the approval of a Permanent Resident status, the Permanent Resident cannot continuously absent from Hong Kong for more than 3 years, otherwise the permanent resident status would be lifted to right to land in Hong Kong.


  • Employment as
    Professional Visa
  • Dependent Visa
  • Visitor Visa
  • Training Visa
  • Entrepreneur Visa
  • HKSAR Travel Pass
  • APEC Business Travels Card
  • (HKSAR Passpor)
    Chinese Nationality